Monday, February 28, 2011

THIS is about as exciting as my life gets at present. Bla bla books bla. Bla bla a bit 'o writing, bla.

The Oscars were last night. Underwhelming, they were. First of all, the duo of James Franco and Anne Hathaway fizzled. A dud, simply put. Franco is a creepy little cretin anyway, but I had hopes that he would be creepily funny, at least. No. Not at all, really. Anne Hathaway tried to be his perfect foil by attempting to be bubbly but she only came out exceedingly, strainingly obnoxious. Beautiful, but terrible, and not in the literary way. Anyway. As I've whined before this was not a good year for movies, but for once I think most of the films that were nominated were deserving, and I didn't really feel like anyone was robbed or edged out, except maybe Chris Nolan and Ryan Gosling, but eh. They are favorites. They will survive. I wasn't ecstatically happy about many of the winners, except for possibly Colin Firth who is precious in every way and David Siedler, the King's Speech writer who is wonderful. I was surprised and a little miffed to see Social Network get the shaft (with the exception of Sorkin's amazing amazing script), and even more grumpy to note that True Grit got NOTHING (zip!!!! really guys?!), but that was not shocking. TG revived the Western but it is not as timely as its competition, and I suppose everyone's sort of tired of the Coens. Overall I felt The King's Speech was a worthy winner, however seeing it completely absorb all of the awards was a little disapointing and dull. The only wins I was particularly crabby about were Natalie Portman's and Melissa Lao's. Both deserving, however others in their categories were much more so. Michelle Williams should have won for Blue Valentine, and, as much as I really love Melissa Lao (both in The Fighter and in Frozen River) I was really rooting for Hailee Steinfeld, whom I just think is marvelous. And her speech would have been precious, surely.

The screenwriting categories were packed with goodness this year. Not like last year when Precious/Hurt Locker won, both undeserving scripts in my opinion. The one really unfair blow I thought was The Social Network being thrown into the adapted category with True Grit. Unfair on all accounts! Two completely amazing scripts like that, and SN not even a real adaptation (though if it were in the original category it would have to have competed with King's Speech, which is also a wonderful screenplay.

Now I'm just musing.

When I win one or both of those categories (in the same year, of course), I think I would mainly discuss my parents. I kept thinking about that, when the recepients brought up their families. How proud they must be. What a wonderful thing to be able to say, my kid just won an Oscar on the teevee last night, didja hear?

1 comment:

Laura Allyson said...

It was strange; while we were sitting there, and Megan said something like, "Ok guys, if any of us is ever up there, DON'T SAY THAT" (about something that I forget)... it occurred to me, by golly. We are all brilliant people. There's always a chance. That was the first time I've ever thought that during the Oscars, and it was nice. But yes, we will all be immensely proud of you when you do and I hope you will invite me to the ceremony and introduce me to Jeff Bridges. Because of course you will be good friends by then, and I want to hug him.